Military personnel of the Naval Museum, 3 October 1944 - © National Museum of the Navy
Located in the Louvre between 1748 and 1938, the museum has since been housed in a historic building, the Palais de Chaillot, built for the 1937 International Exhibition. The building incorporates part of the structures of the old Palace of Trocadero elevated for the 1878 World Fair.
The outstanding collection of ancient models of preserved vessels, works of art, and unusual objects is at one and the same time an art museum and techniques, a museum of history and society. It evokes the maritime history of France and that of men.